The ACQ Locksmiths Ltd top 5 tips for a safe and secure future
- Make a habit of checking that ground floor windows and doors are closed and locked when you leave the house or go to bed. Upstairs windows should be locked when the house is unoccupied. uPVC doors must be locked by lifting the handle and using the key to ensure all the security features are in place.
- Car and house keys should be kept out of sight in a safe place. Don’t leave them on display on window sills, in porches, hallways or kitchens.
- Secure your rear garden by shutting and locking any gates. Burglars can use garden tools to break in, so make sure you securely lock away any tools after use.
- Why not be a good neighbour - if they are out, help deter burglars and give their home the lived-in look by putting away their emptied rubbish bins. You can also help by keeping a look out for unusual callers in your neighbourhood, and call the police if you see anyone acting suspiciously. Keep a pen and some paper handy. The car number you jot down may be just what the police need to catch a burglar.
- Why not sign up to Neighbourhood Watch? The image of curtain-twitching is gone and you can now join online. Visit www.owl.co.uk, or call the police non-emergency number on 101.