Security Advice from Locksmith Southampton
Preventing Winter Crime for your Home
Prevent yourself from being a victim of crime and burglary, with our short guide on how to improve security on your property. As many of us are still enjoying long summer days, it is the perfect opportunity to make sure we are prepared for the coming winter by reviewing our homes and bringing our security up to scratch.
Although last winter may seem like a distant memory, we all know how quickly the year can fly by and getting your house winter-ready now means that you can enjoy the long evenings safe in the knowledge that once the dark nights hit you have done everything you can to protect yourself, your family and your property. Here are our top tips for boosting security in time for winter:
Most of us spend more time in the garden over the summer so why not start here? Fix any broken gates and fences, make sure any tools are securely stored away so they cannot be used to break into your property and cut back any bushes that obstruct view
Install a quality lock on sheds and garages – www.soldsecure.com is a good source of advice on security products
- Review the exterior of your property to make sure there aren’t any broken windows or door frames or opportunity to gain access to your home through garages or conservatories
- Ask a qualified locksmith to review your doors and windows (including internal doors to conservatories and garages) to make sure they have the most appropriate locks, are in good condition and meet your insurance requirements
- Consider your own influence on security and make sure you put an end to any bad habits you and your family may have. For instance don’t leave your keys in the door or in view, always set alarm codes and lock any doors, windows and side gates
- Opportunist thieves can often approach homes that look like nobody is at home so install light timers to make it appear as if someone is at home
Security measures such as alarms and CCTV act as a deterrent and can be used throughout the year
- Side windows can be smashed to gain entry so consider adding reinforced glass or maybe even blocking them up. Decorative grilles and bars can also vastly improve the security of a home without being detrimental to the aesthetics
- Consider asking a specialist locksmith to specify and install a home safe
You may also want to install top and bottom bolts on French doors or add sash jammers to UPVC doors
- It is also worth considering when your locks were last replaced, whether past owners or tenants may still have keys to your home and whether anyone may have made copies of your keys without your knowledge. If you are worried ask a professional locksmith to change your locks and fit a patented system whereby keys can only be copied with proof of ownership meaning only those you select will have a key
- Consider installing dusk to dawn or sensor lighting to the front and back door of your home – this will deter potential thieves and help you gain entry into your home in the dark
- And finally, take a note of the number of Locksmiths Totton and store the number in your phone - 02380 070246.
By ensuring your home is safe during the summer months you not only instantly start benefiting from improved security but you are likely to be more motivated to take action and able to see problems more clearly.